Visit the local library
Unravel the refugee experience and empathize with the displaced through a book from the Somerset Library, nestled near the Wood.
— Somerset Library, Woodsies; throughout the Festival.
Glastonbury 2023 curated a festival library as part of the brand new ‘Woodsies’ area. This featured a range of books for festival goers to spend some time reading and getting inspired.
Below is the list of books recommended, which includes recommendations from the Refugee Week Co-Chairs, Dima Mekdad (researcher, organiser, and writer) and Enver Solomon (CEO of the Refugee Council).
- Refugee Boy, Benjamin Zephaniah
- The Return, Hisham Matar
- All About Love, Bell Hooks
- The Ungrateful Refugee, Dina Nayeri
- Familiar Stranger, Stuart Hall
- What Is The What, Dave Eggers
- No Friend But The Mountains, Behrouz Bouchani
- The Road Before Me Weeps, Nick Thorpe
- Lost In Translation, Eva Hoffman
- Out of Place, Edward Said
- When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, Judith Kerr
- The Bay, Julia Rampen (out in August 2023)
There are so many ways you can get involved with Refugee Week. Check out the Simple Acts page to get inspired.