What is your platform? Perhaps you are a content creator? Or maybe you’re part of a group or work for an organisation? Platforms can mean lots of different things in lots of different settings, but whatever the situation, we all have a sphere of influence.
There’s so many ways you can use your platform: from raising awareness, to amplifying each other’s voices, to advocating for change or supporting organisations and movements.
We encourage you to Use Your Platform for Refugee Week to show solidarity and compassion and help shift the narrative around migration and displacement.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- For those short on time: Share the orange heart emoji on your social media. The orange heart represents compassion for people fleeing war and persecution. Inspired by the refugee nation flag, and the colours of a lifebelt, the heart symbolises hope and kindness.
- Radio & Podcasters: have a Refugee Week themed episode or series. Perhaps you invite a relevant guest or explore this year’s theme of compassion.
- Writers: write a blog, newsletter, article, poem or short story!
- Influencers: Share recommendations for books, films, TV and podcasts; allow a refugee voice to takeover your account for the day; post a collaborative post with a refugee or arts organisation
- Artists: create a new artwork or piece and share on social media!
- Libraries & Bookshops: Curate a Refugee Week book display!
- Groups: bring Refugee Week as an agenda point to your next meeting, how can you take part as a group?
- Curators & Editors: use your platform to curate Refugee Week related content, share a playlist or a list of your top picks!
- Businesses: display your support by promoting Refugee Week in your workspaces (e.g. putting up a poster) or supporting on your social media channels.
The simplest way to Use Your Platform is being part of our Thunderclap moment to mark the beginning of Refugee Week on Monday 19th June at midday (UK time).
Add the orange heart emoji to your social media handle and bios 🧡 (Not on social media? Add it to your WhatsApp profile, Whatsapp group or even your email signature for the duration of Refugee Week 19-25th June 2023)
Share the compassion heart by Murugiah by downloading it here or by searching “@RefugeeWeekUk” in GIF
Share this message “I’m putting my #CompassionIntoAction this #RefugeeWeek by ___” and fill in the blank. (You can fill in the blank and inspire those around you! It can be anything from writing a letter to attending an event, reading a book. Need inspiration? Visit our Simple Acts page here.)
Find out more here.
Show use how you’re using your platform by using #SimpleActs, #CompassionIntoAction, #Refugeeweek
If your social media post includes images or names of other people, make sure you get permission first, including from parents/ guardians of anyone under 18.
Use Your Platform is one of ten Simple Acts you can do for Refugee Week 2023. To view them all, visit the Simple Acts page.